turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drkraus

I filed my taxes and received 1040-ES forms for 2018. I have never paid estimated tax before. Why now?

I am now retired, but will be getting retirement benefits which are already taxed. If I don't pull anthing out of my IRAs in 2018, I shouldn't have to pay estimated taxes for 2018 I would assume.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Heather14

I filed my taxes and received 1040-ES forms for 2018. I have never paid estimated tax before. Why now?

We'll automatically include 4 quarterly 1040-ES vouchers with your printout if you didn't withhold or pay enough tax this year. We do this to head off a possible underpayment penalty on next year's taxes.

You may get these vouchers if you're self-employed or had an uncharacteristic spike in your income this year. For example, you sold stock or took a large distribution from your retirement plan.

You're not required to make estimated tax payments; we're just suggesting it based on the info in your return. If you feel they're not needed for next year's taxes, you can shred them.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Heather14

We'll automatically include 4 quarterly 1040-ES vouchers with your printout if you didn't withhold or pay enough tax this year. We do this to head off a possible underpayment penalty on next year's taxes.

You may get these vouchers if you're self-employed or had an uncharacteristic spike in your income this year. For example, you sold stock or took a large distribution from your retirement plan.

You're not required to make estimated tax payments; we're just suggesting it based on the info in your return. If you feel they're not needed for next year's taxes, you can shred them.

jvigilan

I file estimated payments ONLINE. I DON'T want to print these forms as they are totally useless. I can NOT find a way to remove them so now I have to save a .pdf and manually skip them in the printing. TOTAL waste of my time. Ink and paper costs $$$ so your answer of 'shred them' is not acceptable.
mjt205

What if I received the 1040-ES vouchers but neither of those conditions you mention apply?  The only thing different this year for me was I filed jointly w/ my wife.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies