turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sversie

We have BCBS MS through them as individual health insrance plans that I pay all of the premiums out of pocket. Am I eligible for the health care tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We have BCBS MS through them as individual health insrance plans that I pay all of the premiums out of pocket. Am I eligible for the health care tax credit?

To get the Premium Tax Credit you must have insurance thru the ACA and get a form 1095-A.  

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Are you referring to the Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC)? If so, it depends. Here are the requirements:

A taxpayer qualifies for the credit for any month where:

• He or she was an eligible trade adjustment assistance (TAA) recipient, alternative TAA (ATAA) recipient, reemployment TAA (RTAA) recipient, or Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) pension payee; or a qualified family member of an individual who fell under one of the categories listed above when he or she passed away or with whom the taxpayer finalized a divorce.

• He or she and/or a family member was covered by HCTC-qualified health insurance coverage for which the taxpayer paid the entire premiums, or the taxpayer’s portion of the premiums, directly to the health plan. Note: Coverage obtained through the Health Insurance Marketplace is not qualified coverage for the HCTC.

• He or she was not enrolled in Medicare Part A, B, or C, or was enrolled in Medicare but a member of his or her family qualified for the HCTC.

• He or she was not enrolled in Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).

• He or she was not enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) or eligible to receive benefits under the U.S. military health system (TRICARE).

• He or she was not imprisoned under federal, state, or local authority.

• His or her employer did not pay 50% or more of the cost of coverage.

Learn more about the HCTC here.

If you qualify, click here to learn how to report it in TurboTax.

@sversie

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies