turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We got married on July 15, 2017 and I just found out that the minister never sent in the marriage license. Can we still file as a married couple?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

We got married on July 15, 2017 and I just found out that the minister never sent in the marriage license. Can we still file as a married couple?

Yes, as long as your county/state concurs with the information here.  The marriage did occur in 2017, and you would have witnesses to that effect, including the minister.  When you receive the marriage license it should have date of marriage indicated.  

Most states do not require consummation and simply consider the two married once the marriage ceremony ends. In other states, after your wedding, it is the responsibility of the person who performed your wedding ceremony to make sure the license is recorded with the county where you were married.  You can check with the courthouse in your county to confirm the rule for your state.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, as long as your county/state concurs with the information here.  The marriage did occur in 2017, and you would have witnesses to that effect, including the minister.  When you receive the marriage license it should have date of marriage indicated.  

Most states do not require consummation and simply consider the two married once the marriage ceremony ends. In other states, after your wedding, it is the responsibility of the person who performed your wedding ceremony to make sure the license is recorded with the county where you were married.  You can check with the courthouse in your county to confirm the rule for your state.

You have to be legally married according to the laws of your state.

You would need to check with the county clerk or possibly an attorney, to see if the marriage is considered legal when it was performed under legal circumstances but not recorded correctly.  (Probably it is still a legal marriage, but the laws of your state control.)

Manage cookies