turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We are shareholders of Spectra Energy Co. (USA) which merged with Enbridge Inc (Canada), what tax forms or statements do we need to have on our taxes?

Spectra Energy Corp. (USA) merged in 2017 with Enbridge and is now a Canadian Company. I have an NR4 form & T5008 Protected B form (fractional amount sold that was not carried over) as well as a 1099-DIV, how do I add this to my taxes? Do I need a statement to indicate the merger/exchange since Spectra Energy Corp. no longer exists?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We are shareholders of Spectra Energy Co. (USA) which merged with Enbridge Inc (Canada), what tax forms or statements do we need to have on our taxes?

Here's the registration statement regarding the US income tax effect of the merger on US shareholders:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A U.S. holder receiving Enbridge common shares in exchange for Spectra Energy common stock pursuant to the merger will not recognize any gain or loss, except for any gain or loss that may result from the receipt by such U.S. holder of cash in lieu of fractional Enbridge common shares (as discussed below). The U.S. holder’s aggregate tax basis in the Enbridge common shares received in the merger (including any fractional Enbridge common shares deemed received and redeemed as described below) will be equal to the U.S. holder’s aggregate tax basis in the Spectra Energy common stock surrendered, and the U.S. holder’s holding period for the Enbridge common shares received in the merger (including any fractional Enbridge common shares deemed received and redeemed as described below) will include the U.S. holder’s holding period of the Spectra Energy common stock surrendered. me tax effect on US shareholders:

When US companies merge exchanging stock for stock in a tax-free reorganization there are no income tax reporting requirements as to the merger itself.  I believe that will be the case here, too.

The only US reporting obligation in this case is to report the sale of the fractional share and any resulting gain or loss.

You'd use the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and tell TurboTax no 1099-B was received.  The date you acquired the fractional share would be the same date you acquired the Spectra Energy Co. stock.  Your basis in the fractional share is:

(Basis in Spectra Energy Co. stock) divided by (TOTAL number of Enbridge shares received, including the fraction) times (fraction of a share received).

Your basis in the Enbridge stock after the sale is your original basis in Spectra minus the basis used up in the sale of the fractional share.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Here's the registration statement regarding the US income tax effect of the merger on US shareholders:

A U.S. holder receiving Enbridge common shares in exchange for Spectra Energy common stock pursuant to the merger will not recognize any gain or loss, except for any gain or loss that may result from the receipt by such U.S. holder of cash in lieu of fractional Enbridge common shares (as discussed below). The U.S. holder’s aggregate tax basis in the Enbridge common shares received in the merger (including any fractional Enbridge common shares deemed received and redeemed as described below) will be equal to the U.S. holder’s aggregate tax basis in the Spectra Energy common stock surrendered, and the U.S. holder’s holding period for the Enbridge common shares received in the merger (including any fractional Enbridge common shares deemed received and redeemed as described below) will include the U.S. holder’s holding period of the Spectra Energy common stock surrendered. me tax effect on US shareholders:

When US companies merge exchanging stock for stock in a tax-free reorganization there are no income tax reporting requirements as to the merger itself.  I believe that will be the case here, too.

The only US reporting obligation in this case is to report the sale of the fractional share and any resulting gain or loss.

You'd use the "Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other" interview and tell TurboTax no 1099-B was received.  The date you acquired the fractional share would be the same date you acquired the Spectra Energy Co. stock.  Your basis in the fractional share is:

(Basis in Spectra Energy Co. stock) divided by (TOTAL number of Enbridge shares received, including the fraction) times (fraction of a share received).

Your basis in the Enbridge stock after the sale is your original basis in Spectra minus the basis used up in the sale of the fractional share.

Tom Young

Thank you for your time spent in formulating a thorough and understandable answer to my question. Much appreciated!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies