I recently married but have a son from a previous marriage. My husband and I will not file jointly. Can I still file as head of household?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Sorry, but you cannot if you lived together any time during the last six months of 2016.

Why aren't you filing Joint?  Joint is usually better than Separate.  You can lose several credits and deductions by filing separate.  And if one spouse itemized deductions the other spouse must also itemize even if it is less than the Standard Deduction (even if zero).  What state are you in?  Like Ohio it is better to file separately.

We are in our mid 40's. My new husband has some tax debt that is taken out of his return. Until this is resolved he prefers to file separately. We are in Texas. Thank you for your response.

Texas is a  Community Property State, so MFS may not help much.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni