turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recently married but have a son from a previous marriage. My husband and I will not file jointly. Can I still file as head of household?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I recently married but have a son from a previous marriage. My husband and I will not file jointly. Can I still file as head of household?

Sorry, but you cannot if you lived together any time during the last six months of 2016.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Why aren't you filing Joint?  Joint is usually better than Separate.  You can lose several credits and deductions by filing separate.  And if one spouse itemized deductions the other spouse must also itemize even if it is less than the Standard Deduction (even if zero).  What state are you in?  Like Ohio it is better to file separately.

We are in our mid 40's. My new husband has some tax debt that is taken out of his return. Until this is resolved he prefers to file separately. We are in Texas. Thank you for your response.

Texas is a  Community Property State, so MFS may not help much.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Sorry, but you cannot if you lived together any time during the last six months of 2016.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies