Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
immortalbeloved7

W4 wrong in 2017 for new job. 3 was claimed. I am a single person with no dependents nothing special withheld. Went to do taxes owe irs 300. how do i change that

I do not want to have to owe the IRS if i do not have to. I have had no issues in the past doing my taxes online never had to owe the IRS. My w4 was wrong for 2017 for new job I think and they took out the wrong amount of taxes. W4 had 3 withheld but I am a single person with no dependents and was marked as head of household. (as a single person with no dependents i should not be head of household). How do I fix this so I do not have to owe the IRS

1 Reply
maglib
Level 10

W4 wrong in 2017 for new job. 3 was claimed. I am a single person with no dependents nothing special withheld. Went to do taxes owe irs 300. how do i change that

First owing money can be a good thing. It means the IRS gave you and interest free loan..  When you get a refund, you gave the IRS an interest free loan.  But, many can't save so the answer is you need to go to your employer and fill out a new W-4 form and change your filing.  This is a form you get and submit to your payroll department. They will then hold more from each individual paycheck.

Do note that they are currently amending w-4's for the new tax law rules....  You can still file using the old one though.

I hope this was helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v