immortalbeloved7

W4 wrong in 2017 for new job. 3 was claimed. I am a single person with no dependents nothing special withheld. Went to do taxes owe irs 300. how do i change that

I do not want to have to owe the IRS if i do not have to. I have had no issues in the past doing my taxes online never had to owe the IRS. My w4 was wrong for 2017 for new job I think and they took out the wrong amount of taxes. W4 had 3 withheld but I am a single person with no dependents and was marked as head of household. (as a single person with no dependents i should not be head of household). How do I fix this so I do not have to owe the IRS

maglib

First owing money can be a good thing. It means the IRS gave you and interest free loan..  When you get a refund, you gave the IRS an interest free loan.  But, many can't save so the answer is you need to go to your employer and fill out a new W-4 form and change your filing.  This is a form you get and submit to your payroll department. They will then hold more from each individual paycheck.

Do note that they are currently amending w-4's for the new tax law rules....  You can still file using the old one though.

I hope this was helpful?

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post