Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 says $50K. Really made $40K + $10K reimburse for miles. Should the $10K have been reported as Income? My gas/repair/insurance cost is $12K. How to capture?

W2 Says $50K.  Really only made $40K.     Why were reimbursements for my business miles paid counted as income?   Even if I broke even. - cost $10K and reimbursed $10K - I am not paying social security taxes, state and federal income tax on the $10K.

How do I deduct the $12K I really spent (gas/insurance/repairs) so that it offsets the $10K and reduces state/fed/fica?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

W2 says $50K. Really made $40K + $10K reimburse for miles. Should the $10K have been reported as Income? My gas/repair/insurance cost is $12K. How to capture?

Starting in tax year 2018, you can no longer deduct employee expenses, including mileage and/or automobile expenses.

Even in previous years, the deduction was limited to being an itemized deduction, subject to the 2% of AGI threshold.

Should the $10K have been reported as Income?  It depends on how your employer handles it. If he pays you a set amount (for example $500 per month) without making you account for how you spend it, then yes he is supposed to include it as taxable income on your W-2, in box 1.

If, on the other hand, he has an "accountable plan", wherein he only reimburses you for your actual expenses, then he does not include it on your W-2. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Starting in tax year 2018, you can no longer deduct employee expenses, including mileage and/or automobile expenses.

Even in previous years, the deduction was limited to being an itemized deduction, subject to the 2% of AGI threshold.

Should the $10K have been reported as Income?  It depends on how your employer handles it. If he pays you a set amount (for example $500 per month) without making you account for how you spend it, then yes he is supposed to include it as taxable income on your W-2, in box 1.

If, on the other hand, he has an "accountable plan", wherein he only reimburses you for your actual expenses, then he does not include it on your W-2. 

If your employer is not reimbursing you under an "Accountable Plan", you need to talk to your employer to change things.  Doing it under an "Accountable Plan" will save BOTH you AND your employer taxes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies