Hey all —
Trying to get some guidance on how to figure out my taxes with the TurboTax online version. Here's my situation:
- Worked 10 months in California for my employer
- Moved to North Carolina and worked 2 months for the same employer
- For the first 10 months of the year, also received 1099 income from a company based in Georgia
My questions are:
1) How should I fill out my returns to ensure I owe the correct taxes to each state and
2) How should I fill out my returns to ensure I get credit for taxes paid to other states
Thanks so much!
File a non-resident return for GA - Report your GA 1099 income on this return, and pay tax to GA on that income alone. Prepare this return first, so you will know how much GA tax was paid for purposes of claiming a tax credit from CA.
File a part-year resident return for CA. Report all the income you earned while living in CA, including the GA income. CA will give you a credit (on CA Tax) for what you paid GA..
File a part-year resident return for NC. Report only the income you earned while living in NC. DO not pay CA tax on the income earned while living in NC - your employer's location does not affect which state you pay tax to.