W-2 Difficulty of Care payments

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

I just received my W2 for 2020. I didnt fill out the paperwork to claim exempt until this past October. (although all my income was from this difficulty of care) My W2 is showing in box 1 the amount I was paid before the paperwork went through (Apprx $33k). Box 2 shows my taxes taken out before the paperwork went through. (apprx $2k) Then box 16 shows the actual amount I made all year before & after paperwork went through. (apprx $41k). My question is, can I use this W2 the way it is or am I supposed to have one showing something different? I didnt expect anything to show up in box 1.  It is a bit confusing since it was switched in the middle of a tax year. I am hoping this W2 can be used as is, because calling the payroll dept for the IHSS in the state of Florida is absolutely insane.  From what I have understood all of the income should be tax exempt for the year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

3 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

You can use the W2 as it is, but it is best to get a corrected W2 if possible.  If you cannot get the Form W2 corrected, here is a link with the steps to enter in TurboTax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 2

It would be like climbing up Mount Everest trying to get a corrected W2 from them, so I am trying to file with the one I have. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with IRS. Unfortunately they were not any help. I found some advice on Tax Slayer that I think might be useful to my situation but not sure if the TurboTax program would allow mw to file it this way. I prefer TT as I have used them every year for my previous taxes.  

I believe the first section below would be for the actual W2 that I received showing the $33k made in Difficulty of Care income before my paperwork went through and they stopped taking out taxes. Then the second section would allow me to enter the remaining $7980 that I know I made in Difficulty of care income the last 3 months of the year .  I just want to make sure I am able to claim the full amount that I made under difficulty of care for EIC. I understand that it will lower my EIC payment but I was informed if you claim any difficulty of care payments for EIC it must be the full amount. That is why I am so intent on filing this correctly so it doesnt overpay me in EIC and I get in trouble later on.                                           

Per Taxslayer:

If the Medicaid Waiver Payment is on the W-2 (included in Box 1), select the box at the top of the screen indicating the W-2 includes Medicaid Waiver Payments. Enter the information to match your W-2 form. 

• If you want to include the Medicaid Waiver Payment when figuring Earned Income Tax Credit:
    • Enter the amount of the Medicaid Waiver Payments in the W-2 entry field
    • Check the box for "This income was reported as income on a Form W-2 or Form 1099-Misc"
    • Check the box for "I want to include this income when calculating Earned Income Tax Credit"
    •  
    • Medicaid Waiver Payment not reported to taxpayer on any form:

If the taxpayer received a Medicaid Wavier Payment but the payment was not reported on a W-2 or a 1099-Misc form, the payment is recorded as follows:

• Federal Section 
      • Income
      • Less Common Income
      • Medicaid Waiver Payments

If you want to include the Medicaid Waiver Payment when figuring the Earned Income Tax Credit:

• Enter the amount of the Medicaid Waiver Payments in the entry field
      • Do not check the box for "This income was reported as income on a Form W-2 or Form 1099-Misc"
      • Check the box for "I want to include this income when calculating Earned Income Tax Credit" DOES THE ABOVE LOOK LIKE IT WOULD WORK UNDER TURBOTAX IF I PURCHASE THEIR PRODUCT TO DO MY TAXES THIS WAY? THANKS
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax can exempt income under Notice 2014-7 per the IRS instructions. This Notice provides that certain payments received by an individual care provider under a state Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (Medicaid waiver) program, are difficulty of care payments and excludable as income. 

If these payments are paid to you in box 1 of form W-2 (they should not), first try to get a corrected Form W-2 from the payer. If you cannot get a corrected Form W-2, follow these steps: Do not enter the W-2 in the Wages & Salaries topic. Instead enter it as Other Reportable Income under the Miscellaneous Income section. Take the following steps: 

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, click Continue your return, then pick up where I left off (if you are using TurboTax CD/ Download, then just open your return on your computer);
  1. Click on Federal Taxes at the top of the screen;
  2. At the bottom of Your Income box pick the option in blue to help me add other income, then jump to full list;
  3. Scroll down the page to the last section titled: Less common Income and click show more;
  4. Select start or update next to the last topic titled Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C;
  5. Scroll down to the last option titled Other reportable income and select start or edit;
  6. When it asks, "Any other reportable income?" say yes then you will make two entries:
  7. Your first entry description would be W-2 EIN # (enter EIN number from W-2) Box 1 Medicaid Waiver Payments, and enter the Box 1 amount as a positive number.
  8. Next you click "Add Another Miscellaneous Income Item," and enter this description: IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income and enter the W-2 Box 1 amount as a Negative (-) number. 

This both shows and explains removing the W-2 income, placing a zero on Line 21 of your Form 1040. 

If your W-2 has federal or state taxes withheld, you can enter these amounts in the Deductions & Credits section under Other Income Taxes as Withholding not already entered on W-2.

For more information, refer to IRS Notice 2014–7, 20144 I.R.B. 445 and the IRS FAQs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings