turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjs94

Viatical fees deductible?

we pay the premium for a viatical that has not yet been terminated.  is that money deductible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS has some fairly recent Revenue Rulings on this.  I have put a link below.  Basically your costs of the policy plus premiums paid is your cost basis (for determining any gain or loss).

So, if I for example paid $50K for a policy and then another $20K in premiums, my cost basis would be $70K and then that would reduce my gain by $70K, so then If I got $100K at the end, I would have a $30K profit.  The premiums I pay are not currently deductible, but only at the end.  

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2009/aug/tworecentrevenuerulingsclarifytaxtreatmentoflifesettlem...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The IRS has some fairly recent Revenue Rulings on this.  I have put a link below.  Basically your costs of the policy plus premiums paid is your cost basis (for determining any gain or loss).

So, if I for example paid $50K for a policy and then another $20K in premiums, my cost basis would be $70K and then that would reduce my gain by $70K, so then If I got $100K at the end, I would have a $30K profit.  The premiums I pay are not currently deductible, but only at the end.  

http://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2009/aug/tworecentrevenuerulingsclarifytaxtreatmentoflifesettlem...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies