Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krwhite67

I am filing for deceased taxpayer. On screen that asks for State issued ID; does turbo tax want decedents ID or person filing ID?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I am filing for deceased taxpayer. On screen that asks for State issued ID; does turbo tax want decedents ID or person filing ID?

I'm very sorry for your loss. You need to use the deceased persons ID because even though they are no longer here, you are still filing their return. I hope that helps. 

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MichaelDC

I'm very sorry for your loss. You need to use the deceased persons ID because even though they are no longer here, you are still filing their return. I hope that helps. 

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

krwhite67

Very helpful. Thank you!
MichaelDC

More than a pleasure. Good Luck!
Debbiecr

What if the ID card for the deceased taxpayer has expired?  My mom passed away in January 2023 and her ID expired at the end of January 2023 so is no longer valid.

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

You should be able to indicate that your mother is deceased within the software to fulfill this requirement.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Debbiecr

I did indicate that she is deceased in the return but the state efiling is requiring an ID to be input.  Since hers is expired and I am claiming her refund, can I use my ID?  I filed proof of her death when I filed her 2022 return so I want to efile this year.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

A deceased person only files one tax return after death for their final year. Anything after that is an estate return. You should not be filing a 2022 and a 2023 for a taxpayer, that is not correct.  For additional assistance, please refer to Publication 559, Survivors, Executors, and Administrators.

I am very sorry for your loss.

@Debbiecr 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies