turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have one business expense for 1099-misc income (>$800). Do I really have to pay an extra $114 to upgrade to self-employed to include this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have one business expense for 1099-misc income (>$800). Do I really have to pay an extra $114 to upgrade to self-employed to include this?

Using Turbotax Online, you can report the 1099-MISC and pay SE tax in Deluxe or higher, but if you want to deduct business expenses, you need the Self-Employed version.

Or see below,

The cheapest way to use Turbotax is to buy the CD or download for Turbotax Deluxe from a discount retailer like Staples, Costco or Amazon, and install it on your computer.  If you buy the Deluxe Federal + State + Efile edition, you can prepare as many returns as you want.  You can e-file up to 5 (IRS limit) and then print and mail the rest.  One free state is included.  State e-filing is $25 extra for each state return, but if you prefer cost over speed, you can print and mail your state return for free.  The desktop version also gives you full access to all forms and worksheets, including those that are hidden in the online version.  

Deluxe (on the desktop only, not online) includes all the forms needed for investments and self-employment.  The Premier and Home & Business versions have more help and advice, but if you know what you are doing, you can use Deluxe at lower cost.  The only potential downside is that your tax file is not stored in Turbotax's cloud.  This means that it is not hackable (good) but also means that you have the only copies.  If your computer crashes and you don't have a backup, your file is gone.

Turbotax online has two features that may be useful to some customers: you can work on your tax return from any internet-connected computer as well as smartphones and tablets, and your file is backed up securely online.  (However, you will lose access to your old tax files unless you keep using turbotax online--think of it like a subscription.) 

Turbotax online is overpriced (in my opinion) and an inferior product.  There is only one seller so they control the price.  I only recommend online to people who qualify to file for free.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Using Turbotax Online, you can report the 1099-MISC and pay SE tax in Deluxe or higher, but if you want to deduct business expenses, you need the Self-Employed version.

Or see below,

The cheapest way to use Turbotax is to buy the CD or download for Turbotax Deluxe from a discount retailer like Staples, Costco or Amazon, and install it on your computer.  If you buy the Deluxe Federal + State + Efile edition, you can prepare as many returns as you want.  You can e-file up to 5 (IRS limit) and then print and mail the rest.  One free state is included.  State e-filing is $25 extra for each state return, but if you prefer cost over speed, you can print and mail your state return for free.  The desktop version also gives you full access to all forms and worksheets, including those that are hidden in the online version.  

Deluxe (on the desktop only, not online) includes all the forms needed for investments and self-employment.  The Premier and Home & Business versions have more help and advice, but if you know what you are doing, you can use Deluxe at lower cost.  The only potential downside is that your tax file is not stored in Turbotax's cloud.  This means that it is not hackable (good) but also means that you have the only copies.  If your computer crashes and you don't have a backup, your file is gone.

Turbotax online has two features that may be useful to some customers: you can work on your tax return from any internet-connected computer as well as smartphones and tablets, and your file is backed up securely online.  (However, you will lose access to your old tax files unless you keep using turbotax online--think of it like a subscription.) 

Turbotax online is overpriced (in my opinion) and an inferior product.  There is only one seller so they control the price.  I only recommend online to people who qualify to file for free.

Thanks for the answer plus the great advice!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies