Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Using Pay Stub to file

I'm working on a family members taxes and a w2 we are waiting on ( I know January 31st is the cut off ) is notorious for being later than January 31st, like weeks and they don't offer any way to view online. On top of that they confirmed today the address its being sent to is wrong and was told they can't change it in time. 

That being said. We would have to wait till mid February to request a new one. 

Since it was a 3 month position that paid a only a little over 3400.00 with no pretax deductions or any other pre tax adjustments that would change her gross taxable wages It would be safe to use the last pay stub she got?  

If I submit the tax return can I change it before the official processing date February 12?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Using Pay Stub to file

The IRS will not be accepting 2020 returns until February 12.   If the W-2 is on the way, wait for it.   I have already completely lost count of the users in this forum who have filed with pay stubs that do not match the W-2's they received.  They filed with pay stubs and now they have to go through the aggravation of amending returns---a process that takes 4-6 months.

In answer to your question about e-filing now and changing the return if the W-2 arrives----no you cannot do that.  Once you e-file it is gone and you cannot change it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies