turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am making payments to a credit union for a loan, do I claim the finance charges on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

If I am making payments to a credit union for a loan, do I claim the finance charges on my taxes?

The IRS does not allow a taxpayer to claim an interest deduction if it is a personal loan (This includes a personal car loan.)

If however, the loan is a home equity loan, you may be able to claim this as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.

If this is student loan interest, you would be able to claim this on your tax return if you meet all the eligibility requirements. (Student loan interest would be reported to you on a Form 1098-E).

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What type of loan?

It was a car loan.
DS30

Unless the car is used for business purposes (as in a self-employment business or for unreimbursed car use as an employee), you will not be able to claim a deduction for this car loan. Please see posted answer.
DS30

The IRS does not allow a taxpayer to claim an interest deduction if it is a personal loan (This includes a personal car loan.)

If however, the loan is a home equity loan, you may be able to claim this as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.

If this is student loan interest, you would be able to claim this on your tax return if you meet all the eligibility requirements. (Student loan interest would be reported to you on a Form 1098-E).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies