turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in ala and I gamble in miss. can I file and get back the taxes I pay on my winnings.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I live in ala and I gamble in miss. can I file and get back the taxes I pay on my winnings.

Unfortunately no - MS is a state where that is a nonrefundable 3% tax withheld from all nonresidents' winnings.

However, you can file a nonresident MS state income tax return to report the MS winnings only and then claim a state tax credit in AL for the taxes that you paid on your MS nonresident state income tax return.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return.

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Unfortunately no - MS is a state where that is a nonrefundable 3% tax withheld from all nonresidents' winnings.

However, you can file a nonresident MS state income tax return to report the MS winnings only and then claim a state tax credit in AL for the taxes that you paid on your MS nonresident state income tax return.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return.

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies