Uber and Lyft reported income on 1099-K's are much greater than actual amounts I made--why is this?

I cannot give you a sure explanation for this.  You'll want to check your payment card receipt records and merchant statements to confirm whether or not the amount on your Forms 1099-K is accurate. If the income reported on the 1099-K reports does not appear to be correct, contact the payers before you file your return to get clarification. If there is an error on the form(s), request a corrected Form 1099-K from the payer and keep a copy.