turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

Based on a number of people indicating they have had problems updating the TurboTax software, how do you verify the version numbers on the About help screens are the latest and the software is current. I'd hate to file a return and find that the program hadn't updated the calculations or forms.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

The IRS isn't officially opening filing season until January 27, I believe.  It is still quite early to file a return.  If your return is anything other than SUPER simple, I'd recommend holding off on filing for a bit.  Every year, no matter how hard TurboTax tries to have things in full working order, there are necessary updates to the software.  It's always a better plan to wait until later in the filing season to e-file your return.

The updates in your program should be set to automatic so that when you open the program, updates are installed.  However, you can always double-check by clicking on the "Online" tab in the header bar.  You'll see a drop-down menu that contains the option to "Check for Updates".  As for the update notes that reveal what was contained in the update, that information is not currently available as it has been in the past.  Again, the recommendation would be to wait until later in the filing season so that many of the issues have been resolved.

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/verify-turbotax-for-windows-basic-deluxe-premier-or-...

Expect updates to 2019 TurboTax to continue well into September as they do every year.  Many earlier updates will be implementing the changes to the tax code enacted in December 2019, but updates later in the year tend to be fixes for obscure problems that affect very few people.

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

Your OP describes a process that has worked great for twenty years.  For tax year 2019 the updater is dysfunctional.  Am running as administrator, have tried repairing the software, uninstalling the software and reinstalling a copy from the web site (original was from CD), manually updating (which got it running well enough to input federal information.)  Software freezes up if you use updater buttons in the menu.  Federal Smart Check returns a red box with "Some Error Occurred" displayed in it.  Trying to bypass the smart check you can get to download state, which apparently uses the same broken updater and returns error messages.  At that point you are stuck.  The software flat out doesn't work, and I have been unable to find a work around.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Has anyone found an answer?

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

Try manually update the software as described in the link below.

Manually Update TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RICHARD  3

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

When will I get Updates for my TurboTax Deluxe? Every time I try to E-File it says I need Updates. Please let me know. [email address removed] or Call Me At [phone number removed].  Thank You.  Richard Hoh

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

@RICHARD 3  I believe what you're reporting is a known issue in TurboTax.  See the workaround offered in the link below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/there-is-an-update-available-for-your-version-of-t...

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

I saved files on laptop part way thru entering data. ran Microsoft updates. later tried to restart tax, and at the look for update point got cant reach download site. ended up with 42016 error. tried loading patch recommended, but end up the same place. everything suggests starting over. **bleep** hope I don't have to reload , and restart. suggestions? also was working jigsaw puzzles which I can't get to anymore either.

SharonCain
Returning Member

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

I don't know if my download of Turbo Tax is set for automatic updates, how do I know?

TurboTax Updates 2019 -

@SharonCain wrote:

I don't know if my download of Turbo Tax is set for automatic updates, how do I know?

Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Updater Preferences Automatically download updates should be selected.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies