turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Premier 2015 for Mac OSX. OSX crashed, lost all TurboTax work. Now I can't import last year's return - the login screen is blank. Already reinstalled once.

I installed a brand new TurboTax Premier 2015 from disc on my MacBook Pro tonight.  Lost 3 hours of tax return work when the OS crashed.

After restarting, I can no longer import last year's 2014 tax return.  When I choose the file, I'm prompted with what is supposed to be the Intuit login screen (based on comparison with TurboTax Premier 2014 and the website), but all that loads is a blank dialog with a single "Cancel" button on the bottom right.  I've attached screenshots of the problematic workflow.

I've already followed all of the steps to uninstall TurboTax as listed here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

And subsequently re-installed TurboTax.  Twice.

Starting the 2015 return without importing the 2014 return is NOT an option for me.

Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TurboTax Premier 2015 for Mac OSX. OSX crashed, lost all TurboTax work. Now I can't import last year's return - the login screen is blank. Already reinstalled once.

Fixed it! Same problem exactly, spent 3 hours on hold and eventually talking to two layers of customer support whose only solution was to send me a new download file to replace my cd. After install, same problem.

Being familiar with "under the hood" of Mac apps, I watched what was happening in Mac Console while I duplicated the problem with that blank screen. Sure enough, I could see in the code there was an encryption error. So, being suspicious, I checked my 2014 tax return file by opening it in the 2014 Turbotax Application. Sure enough, it was encrypted! Instead of removing the encryption, via File > Remove Encryption, I duplicated the file (File > Duplicate) and then Saved As a new file and named it 2014returnunencripted or whatever you want. Close out the 2014 app.

Launch Turbotax 2015 and begin a new return. When you select last year's tax file, select the new file you created that isn't encrypted. It will work for you.

Turbotax needs to fix their encryption method as well as how they store that 6 digit code in the event that the program crashes and needs to reopen the encrypted file.
willwgm3

Thanks! This worked for me as well. I had to reinstall 2014 app and download and install my state forms as well before I could open last year's return. After that, duplicating and saving without encryption let me import as you described. Not good Intuit!
kenyar95

This worked beautifully! At first I thought your answer was intimidating due to the "under the hood" comment. I thought I had to dig into Mac settings, but once I found the remove encryption option in Turbo Tax it was all too easy! Just like you said!
Step 1- Open 2014 Turbo Tax File
Step 2 - Click File then Duplicate
Step 3 - Save under new name and give credentials
Step 4 - Remove Encryption
Step 5 - Launch Turbotax 2015
Step 6 - Transfer File (the one you just saved without encryption)

Yay!!! Thank you Thank you!!!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies