joemozjr

Turbotax online - error on fed tax return

Need to enter amount already paid when I filed form 4868.  TT did not recognize that I paid this and shows that I still owe.  Already uploaded and printed 1040.  How can I change/fix/amend federal return to enter amount already paid

If you have NOT e-filed or mailed the 2020 federal tax return -

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Income Taxes Paid, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

The federal extension payment will be shown on Schedule 3 Line 9. The amount from Schedule 3 Part II Line 13 flows to Form 1040 Line 31

Mike9241

if you already filed, do nothing. the IRS will normally catch extension payments that aren't included on the return.