turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax is telling me to withdraw is the same amount of my contribution.

Wondering what is with the HSA withdraw? The withdraw is the same amount of my contribution. Don't know why I have to withdraw?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TurboTax has determined that you made an excess contribution to your HSA in 2017, that is, you exceeded the annual HSA contribution limit for 2017. However, the fact that the excess is the same as your total contribution suggests that you made a data entry error that confused TurboTax.

Please review the following to see if any of these items explain your excess:

One of the purposes of the HSA interview is to determine your annual HSA contribution limit.

As you probably know, the maximum limits in 2017 are:

• $3,400 - individual with self-coverage
  • $6,750 - individual with family coverage
  • If the HSA owner is 55 or older, then you add $1,000 to these amounts.

However, these limits assume that you were in an HSA all year. If you left the HSA during the year or started Medicare or had one of a number of change events, then the limit is reduced

There are several major culprits for excess contributions (other than just actually contributing more than the limit). 

First, if you did not complete the HSA interview - that is, go all the way until you are returned to the "Your Tax Breaks" page - the limit still might be set to zero, causes a misleading excess contribution message. 

There are questions all the way to the end of the interview that affect the annual contribution limit.

Second, it is not unusual for taxpayers to accidentally duplicate their contributions by mistakenly entering what they perceive to be "their" contributions into the second line on the "Let's enter your HSA contributions" screen (see screenshot below). 

Normally, any employee who made contributions to his/her HSA through a payroll deduction plan has the contributions included in the amount with code "W" in box 12 on the W-2. This is on the first line on this screen (above). Don't enter the code W amount anywhere on the return other than on the W-2 page.

Third, if you weren't in HDHP coverage all 12 months, then the annual contribution limit is reduced on a per month ratio. NOTE, this means that you have to indicate when and under what type of HDHP plan you had. Be sure to answer the questions on the screen entitled "Was [name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan in 2017?" (see screenshot below).

Fourth , if you had a carryover of excess contributions from 2016, then this carryover is applied to 2017 as a personal contribution, which could cause an excess condition in 2017 as well. But note: if you had an excess contribution in 2016 but cured it by withdrawing the excess in early 2017, then do NOT report an "overfunding" on your 2017 return.

Fifth, the Family limit ($6,750) is for the aggregate of contributions by both taxpayers, even if both taxpayers have their own HSAs. That is, one taxpayer can’t contribute $6,750 to his/her HSA and the other contribute $3,400 to the other HSA – the $6,750 limit applies to the aggregate of all HSA contributions credited to the family (in this case, the excess contributions would be $3,400).Let's enter your HSA contributionsLet's enter your HSA contributionsWere you covered by an HDHP in 2017?Were you covered by an HDHP in 2017?

2017? Shouldn't this be for 2018?
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies