turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Deluxe 2019 Macintosh program crashes

Can't find where to post problems with TurboTax on a Mac so I'll try here. Launching TurboTax Deluxe results in the notice to please wait while it checks for any updates, then the program immediately crashes.

This occurs on three different Macs (Mac Pro, and two MacBook Pros), all running Mojave and all current with software updates. Intuit is NOT interested in the Console Crash Log saying they don't have the expertise to understand what the log tells them. So they've had be delete the app and reinstall, which didn't work. I tried to explain that TurboTax puts files all over the Library, and after 1-1/2 hours on the phone, I got someone that agreed and sent me the link to remove all the files from the Library. The tech support person also said to re-download the installer, which makes no since since the dmg file was 100% identical to the previous file AND the file on the CD I purchased. I don't think they understand dmg files at Intuit (mostly PC people).

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get TurboTax Deluxe 2019 to run. Since this happens on 3 different computers, I don't think it is hardware related.

Anyone else experience a crash while trying to launch TurboTax on a Mac? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

93 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Customer Support phone number below for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I spent 90 minutes on the phone today, repeating everything I told the representative on Monday. This rep said the Monday rep did not put much in her notes so I recreated everything except the error message because I didn't have that. I was then told to check my system for the minimum requirements (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...) and then told my computer was too old because the link says it requires a 2019 computer. I tried to explain that it referred to the VERSION of TurboTax and not the computer, but it was not accepted. Plus I was continually advised of things that were PC actions and not for a Macintosh.

Ultimately no one at the support arena has been able to help, or to explain the sequence of events that originally led to the crash (right after paying for the State e-file) and clicking CONTINUE. That is why I am seeking others that might have encountered this problem.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you getting an error messages during the installation or before it crashes, such as "TurboTax 20xx can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software." ? 

I had the exact same problem last night. Got through paying for CA state, the program froze with the mac wait icon every time I hovered over the window. I waited 10 minutes and it was still frozen. I then force quitted the app, then relaunched and the same "please wait while it checks for any updates" then crash or quit.
I've tried moving the program to the trash, emptying trash, reinstalling.

I've tried the above then restarting the mac.

I've tried manually cleaning all app files, using a helper program to clean all app files.

I've tried saving the session data saved and doing the above.
It's always crash after that "updates" window.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Since you continue to have trouble after trying everything suggested in the forum, please contact a TurboTax phone agent. The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below. We're open daily from 5 AM to 9 PM PT.  Please click here to for What is the TurboTax phone numberhttps://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number  

No, no error messages when it crashes. It does report to the Logs folder in the Library (Console), but nothing shows up on screen--just the crash.

See the previously posted response! If I had a way of getting to a Macintosh person, it would be worth it. But I'm tired of dealing with PC folks and all the troubleshooting they make me go through (over 3 hours) when much of it doesn't apply or is just plain ignorant.

Exact same issue.  The app had just finished purchasing the filing fees when it crashed.  Cleared web cache areas, rebooted, and etc. all with no success.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Customer Support phone number below for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Follow-up (also posted under the Turbotax 2019 for Mac crashed thread:(

I worked from the assumption that a cached file was corrupted during the crash.  Following that assumption, I was able to get back up and running after removing (actually moved to a backup directory) all the Turbotax 2019 files under ~/Library.  

I would recommend that you do this at your own risk!

Files removed (where applicable from the "Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac" instructions:

• ~/Library/Application Support/TurboTax 20XX
  • ~/Library/Caches/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX
  • ~/Library/Caches/TurboTax 20XX
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.LSSharedFileList.plist
  • ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.savedstate
  • ~/Library/Cookies/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.binarycookies
  • ~/Library/WebKit/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX
  • ~/Library/Containers/com.intuit.turbotax.mac20XX
    • (This folder will only appear if you installed from the Mac App Store instead of a CD or download.)
  • ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.sfl
    • (This folder will only appear for OS X 10.11, El Capitan.)

Once that was done, I restarted the app and re-download the states (you should see and option for states already installed).  We'll see if I can file now.

Update:

Removed post - see duplicate entry below

Update:

Note - I've also cross-posted in https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/turbotax-premier-crashes-on-macos-catalina-10-15-...

I had some limited success in getting the app operational again.  I began by removing the ~/Library files (cached files, saved state, and etc.).  See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050 

In this case, I left the Application in tact and simply removed the localized user files.  Once the files are removed, reboot, restart the app, install the states that you have purchased (it still recognized the prior purchases), and I was back and operation.

While the app is now running, it continues to crash during the filing process (it makes it through to the point that the prior credit card transaction is recognized, and then crashes).  

I will also note, that if you choose to send the crash reports after a crash, the Library files will need to be removed again.  If the windows are closed, I am able to re-open the app again without issue.

Thanks. I got it to run once after I deleted all the various files, but then stupidly went to the file page again when it crashed. I've cleared everything out (again) and will give it a try in the future.

I think Intuit is missing the boat here when it happens to several people at the same place (filing), regardless of the model of the Mac or the Operating System. One of the reps told me I didn't have the hardware to support the program and I needed a 2019 computer! I tried to explain the program ran fine until the FILE operation, but made no headway.

I was able to get it past the filing piece later in the eve.  I'm not sure if this will work every time; but this was my sequence (assuming prior steps of removing ~/Library files and etc.):

1. Restarted the application
  2. Re-downloaded states (in my case MN and PA)
  3. Completed the final review
  4. Followed the filing process all the way up to the app recognizing I had already paid for the state filings
  5. Selected the Close button on the bottom right of the pop-up window (vs. the Close selection in the window).
  6. As quickly as possible, clicked on the Continue button
  7. Completed the filing and etc.

I'm not sure why it worked the final time.  I played with trying one state at a time, filing Federal 1st, and etc..  In the end, I completed the filing (this one for one of my kids); so I was pleased.

The CS representative I spoke with last night (the 2nd) was able to escalate the issue to 2nd-tier support (who, reviewed the postings as they were not aware that others were experiencing issues); so it may get some attention in future patches.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies