turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax 2018 Deluxe crashes constantly

Rogelio

I'm not sure how you came up with your idea but you're a genius!  I just completed my taxes by NOT maximizing the screen although I did adjust the windows size.  I did not experience even one crash!

Thanks for the suggestion.

I also purchased mine at Costco and am running on Windows 10.  But several times when I advance to a new section I get a blank page.  Several sections I cannot enter information.

mjskucius

I have been having the same issue with Premier for several weeks not (windows 10 as well).  Tried again today as turbotax updated when I opened, got a few entries in and now it is closing on most any action (just like last week).  Had a less that satisfactory call with support on Feb 9.  After holding for some time, I got first level support.  After having me deinstall and reinstall (twice, once from a fresh distribution) she was able to contact her 2nd level support (I think they were texting) for a very inefficient conversation.  I asked multiple times to connect us all so we could move faster but she would not/could not do that.  After about 3 hours on the phone, when 2nd level wanted me to deinstall and reinstall (3rd time) I terminated the call.  

INTUIT WHERE ARE YOU?  Those of us having this issue need some information in order to decide whether we should return for refund and buy HRBlock.  Time is running...

Having the same problem. My feeling is that they have not put the resources in to make Tax 2018 usable. Get the feeling they are going to force everyone to go online. Unfortunately  I cannot use the online version.  This is painful.

Just downloaded the DELUXE program and it is basically useless operating on a Windows 10 machine. I really don't understand how can they sell this piece of junk. I have been preparing my taxes for years using Turbo Tax, I will admit that it always had some issues with crashing that got worse as the years progressed. This 2018 version is literally like stealing. It crashes on almost anything I try to do.  This is what happens when all the competition in the Tax preparation software has been eliminated. It doesn't help the the US Tax code is designed to keep these players in business.  Can you imagine a flat tax based system where you could complete your return in 5 minutes!! Unfortunately the rent-seekers will never allow this to happen.

I have the same problem.  When I click the "Done" button to finish a section or on the main page and click "Visit All" or "Update", it crashes.  I am completely stuck since I can't enter information into most sections.  They need to resolve this quickly or I will start exploring to return the software and cancel my auto-renewal.  I have used it for over a decade but last year was buggy and this year, so far, it is unusable.

It isn't a Costco issue.  I have auto-renewal so Intuit ships it directly to me each year and I have the same issue.  Crashes all the time and completely unusable. 

yes, there is a sign up page somewhere for the "containment article" and I signed up but have not received any updates from it.  There was another similar thread to this one but using Premier and that is where I found a link to it but that discussion has mysteriously disappeared.

rogelio32

I am having the same problem and I am going to try your solution of not maximizing the TT window to see if it solves my problem.  Thanks for the suggestion.  How many people have tried this work around and what is the success rate so far?

Don't hold your breath.... It crashes just the same when you don't maximize the screen.  At least for me.

It's hard to believe that they even tested this software on a Windows 10 machine. I simply load my return then "View Forms" and it crashes. Sometimes on an additional try it works only to crash somewhere else. It's like they are selling "snake oil". When I get enough courage I will contact technical support, I'm afraid they will give me the run-around only to end up in the same place.

Status Update -

I followed rogelio32 advice and not maximized the TurboTax window.  It seems to be a little bit more stable but it still crashed once.  I was able to quickly finished the return and E-filed  both Federal and state.   I'm done for this year.  I'll will definitely look for other alternatives for next year's return.  No more TurboTax for me.

So I have been on the phone now for at least a couple hours with support with no luck. She has had me try these things, that may help others...just not me.

- Reinstall the software.  I had a disc but downloaded the latest version from the Intuit site, version [phone number removed] and used it instead.

- Right click on the icon, go to the compatibility tab, and select Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8 and then in the Settings section, Run this  program as administrator

- She then sent me a new version of the software, that was not on the download page before, and had me download and install it, version [phone number removed]. 

- Then she had me download the manual update here, https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901192-manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-deluxe...

- Nothing fixed the crashing issue so, as a last resort, she refunded my money and suggested that I try the online version so I will give that a go.

I am using Windows 10 Pro, just on  a hunch I had BitLocker enabled. I suspended BitLocker and ran Turbo Deluxe 2018 and it appears to be operating much better. Still hasn't crashed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies