Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax states that the law for claiming mortgage insurance premiums is still under review for 2018, what is the ETA on that? When is it expected to pass/be vetoed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Turbo Tax states that the law for claiming mortgage insurance premiums is still under review for 2018, what is the ETA on that? When is it expected to pass/be vetoed?

IRS Schedule A instructions (2018) - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040sca.pdf

Expired deduction for mortgage insurance premiums . At the time these instructions went to print, the deduction for mortgage insurance premiums had expired. You can't claim a deduction for amounts paid or accrued after 2017.  

As of this date the Congress has not renewed the Mortgage Insurance deduction for tax year 2016

I am aware I cannot currently claim deductions. the turbo tax website states that it is still under review and could change.  I would like to know typically when this will happen, as I would rather wait to file then amend my return depending on the date changes/updates to expiries occur.

No one can tell you when this will change because it is totally up to Congress to approve changes to the tax code.  When or even if they will do that is unknown.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies