turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax for NJ, Line 37 Taxable Income is not calculating Line 29 NJ Gross Income minus Line 30 Exemption (blank, but S/B $1,000), so Line 27 Taxable Income is blank.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Turbo Tax for NJ, Line 37 Taxable Income is not calculating Line 29 NJ Gross Income minus Line 30 Exemption (blank, but S/B $1,000), so Line 27 Taxable Income is blank.

Once your NJ gross income is less that 10,000 your tax is going to be zero.
The software stops there.

If you had NJ tax withheld it will all be refunded.

But this is for the New Jersey return, not Federal.  It is my understanding New Jersey taxes from first dollar.  So, for example, for 2017, gross Fed/NJ income was approx half the 2018 amount, yet NJ tax was $65.00.  Hence I am concerned there may be a glitch in Turbotax's 2018 NJ tax calculation.

see updated answer.

Are you a senior? Most NJ seniors will pay no income tax until NJ taxable gross income goes over $100,000.

@fanfare Do you mean $10,000 (not $100,000)?

No, $100,000. And I did say "most".

I don't think erinoliviamcburn is a senior but does have income under 10,000 based on the appearance of the NJ tax return.

I have the answer.  No more responses please.  Thank you.

Most happy to have been of assistance.

@SweetieJean  I should have stated
Most non-working NJ seniors ; there is a $3,000 earnings threshold that kills the pension exclusion.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies