turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Arilyn

Turbo Tax Deluxe says that my minor children are not dependents? They are US citizens, lived with me all year, their father is not claiming them this year etc. Why?

I am filing Married Filing Separately but my children and my sister that I claim were dependents last year. Is the program broken?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Turbo Tax Deluxe says that my minor children are not dependents? They are US citizens, lived with me all year, their father is not claiming them this year etc. Why?

The rules for claiming dependents have changed in some respects for 2018. Please review the information below and verify your answers in the TurboTax interview.

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiancé, or other member of your household as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet either of the following sets of requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you;
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else;
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, U.S. national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse or are filing a joint return only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid;
  • They are under the age of 19, or 24 if a full-time student;
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (temporary absences from your home, while living at school, still count as time living with you); and
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.
A new requirement this year is that each qualifying child dependent must have a Social Security Number, issued before the due date of your tax return (including extensions) to be claimed for the Child Tax Credit.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year.
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

A new requirement this year is that each qualifying child dependent must have a Social Security Number issued before the due date of your tax return (including extensions) or an ITIN or ATIN issued or applied for before the due date of your tax return (including extensions) to be claimed for the Credit for Other Dependents.

Note: Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, you no longer receive a personal exemption for your dependents. But there are other tax benefits, including the Child Tax Credit and the new Credit for Other Dependents, you may be able to get when you claim a dependent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

The rules for claiming dependents have changed in some respects for 2018. Please review the information below and verify your answers in the TurboTax interview.

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiancé, or other member of your household as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet either of the following sets of requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you;
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else;
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, U.S. national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse or are filing a joint return only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid;
  • They are under the age of 19, or 24 if a full-time student;
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (temporary absences from your home, while living at school, still count as time living with you); and
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.
A new requirement this year is that each qualifying child dependent must have a Social Security Number, issued before the due date of your tax return (including extensions) to be claimed for the Child Tax Credit.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year.
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

A new requirement this year is that each qualifying child dependent must have a Social Security Number issued before the due date of your tax return (including extensions) or an ITIN or ATIN issued or applied for before the due date of your tax return (including extensions) to be claimed for the Credit for Other Dependents.

Note: Due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, you no longer receive a personal exemption for your dependents. But there are other tax benefits, including the Child Tax Credit and the new Credit for Other Dependents, you may be able to get when you claim a dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies