fyfestone

TT won't trasmit efile due to "errors"

In 2018, our 22 year old son got married, was a full time student and made around 40,000 but we provided more than half of his support. He lived with us for 7 months of the year.  We are claiming him as a dependent.  He and his wife (who had no income in 18) are filing "married filing jointly".  They are only filing to get a refund of taxes withheld. TT won't allow us to transmit the efile.  I have run the IRS' own "Whom may I claim as a dependent" online tool and it says we can claim him.  

TT won't trasmit efile due to "errors"

As an aside, be sure to have good records, as the IRS may question the 50% support, given your son's $40,000 income. Who paid for school?

TT won't trasmit efile due to "errors"

Also, given that his income is $40,000, are you sure he and his wife are going to get all of their taxes back? The Standard Deduction is $24,000, so their taxable income would be $16,000.
fyfestone

TT won't trasmit efile due to "errors"

This is embarrassing but what does this mean?  I've read this over and over again online and now with your feedback.  They are only filing their taxes to get what they paid in back.  No credits, etc.  I'm confused on this point.  They certainly aren't getting more than what he paid.  They are getting less back.
fyfestone

TT won't trasmit efile due to "errors"

Also, he went to school January through May.  Graduated.  Started his job in August.  A good job that pays well.  I thank you for your help by the way.  We just want to do this correctly.  I guess if it has "errors" so TT won't transmit, I understand that.  What if TT is identifying an error that isn't an error?  I guess you are saying to mail in.

TT won't trasmit efile due to "errors"

You will have to print and file by mail.