turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT will not let me use FREE. Says too much SS was WH. Not True. Exactly 6.2% How do I over ride?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

TT will not let me use FREE. Says too much SS was WH. Not True. Exactly 6.2% How do I over ride?

Do you have multiple W-2s?   Does the total of social security withheld from all W-2s exceed $8,239.80?   If it does, you cannot use the Free Edition.   If it doesn't, review the amounts you entered from your W-2 as it may be a typo.   Double-check the amounts you entered into TurboTax.  

Can I get a refund for excess Social Security tax withheld?

Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

here are 2 different situations when it will say Employer may have paid too much Social Security.  It's saying either 1 employer took out too much SS -OR- that you paid too much SS because you had more than 1 employer.  This should cover both.

More than 1 Employer:

For 2019,  If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s  for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  Check 1040 schedule 3 line 11 for it.  Then schedule 3 goes to 1040 Line 18d.  If only one employer took out more than $8,239.80 you have to get the difference back from that employer and get a corrected W2 form.

One Employer:

Check boxes 3 & 4 on your W2. Box 4 should be 6.2% of box 3 up to a max of $8,239.80.   So take the amount in box 3 and multiply it by .062. If box 4 is more than that you need to get a corrected W2 from your employer.  But also go back and double check your W2 entries, you may have entered box 3 & 4 wrong.  A lot of people who have asked this found they did enter an amount wrong.

Or check W2 box 12.  You may have entered Code A by mistake.

A sure way to fix this is to delete the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.

Or post back with the amounts in boxes 3&4.

@DawnC  Can you check into this and pass it up to tech?  There seems to be something going on.  Seeing lots of these excess SS questions just started a couple days ago.  Maybe with an update?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Is it possible for you to send a screenshot of the screen where it is asking you to upgrade and a diagnostic copy of your return, please?  It will be much appreciated!  And thanks for the heads up @VolvoGirl

A diagnostic return has any personal identifying information redacted, so your privacy is not in peril.  Only a TurboTax agent can access the scrubbed return.

To send a diagnostic return to TurboTax:

• Click on Tax Tools
  • Click on Tools  
  • Click on Share my file with Agent 
  • You will get a message that explains what a diagnostic copy is.  Click the OK button  

Please indicate the number in a comment below.

@superman_jonatha

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DawnC   Check out this simple one.  Only 2 W2 single and way under the max.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-turbotax-says-i-overpaid-social-security-tax-a... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies