turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ac1

How do I file my federal taxes by mail?

I need to file my federal taxes by mail because I do not meet the minimum tax return for E-filing. However, when I click continue, it takes me to entering in my drivers license information, consent to e-file for my state tax returns, then takes me back to the page telling me that my federal tax returns don't meet the minimum requirements for E-filing. How do I fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieM

How do I file my federal taxes by mail?

Try this work around:

1. Sign into your account.

2. Click on the My TurboTax menu ( See attachment) and select  Visit My Tax Timeline .

3. Under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO click on Add a state. (You are not adding a state to your return.  This allows you to get back into your return.)

4. Click on the File tab across the top below the Search option.

5. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.

6. Click the Start button to the right of Step 3.

7. This will navigate you to the Here are your filing choices screen, click I'd like to chance filing methods.

8. Change your filing method to file by mail and click Save.

9. Click Continue and follow the onscreen prompts to mail your return.

If this does not work, try logging out of your account, clearing your web browser and your cookies and caches.  Also make sure you are NOT in Internet Explorer as a web browser but try using Google Chrome and/ Firefox (or another one) if able.

If this still does not work you may need to clear it and start over but that is only accessible IF you have not yet registered.  You can find that option under My Accounts.

If all of these options still do not work then you can create another account and file a new return but make sure you write down your Log in information as well as your AGI from previous year as you will need this information to file this years return.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies