turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

YYOO
Level 1

Travel reimbursement from a foreign country

I attended a conference in Japan and got reimbursed for the travel expenses.  The organizer asked me to submit Form 6166, Certification of US tax residency to the Japanese tax office, so that I don't have to pay tax in Japan. 

Is this reimbursement taxable in the US?  How do I report it and the deduction on the tax return (Since it is a reimbursement, I made no net income)?  The foreign organizer did not issue a 1099 MISC.    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

It depends on whether travel to the conference was for business or personal reasons.

If you were reimbursed for nondeductible personal expenses, the income is taxable and you can add it in the section Federal>>Income & Expenses>>Less Common Income>>Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C>>Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099>>other wages>>Any Other Earned Income>>Other.

If the travel was for business as a self-employed person, use the travel reimbursement to offset your deductible travel expenses for the trip.

If the travel was for business as an employee, you should reduce the travel expenses you submit to your employer for reimbursement.   Or, if your employee travel expenses were not reimbursed it goes to offset your unreimbursed employee expenses.  Either way, it does not need to be reported on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
YYOO
Level 1

The travel is for business.  The foreign organizer did not issue a 1099 Misc, so where do I report the income and where do I deduct the expenses on TurboTax online?  Thanks again.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If you are self-employed, report the payment as business income on Schedule C as you would any income not reported on a 1099-MISC. Report the expenses on Schedule the same as any other travel expenses.  If they are the same, the two will net to zero. If you are a W-2 employee and the reimbursement did not exceed your expenses, then you don't need to report anything.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies