Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R: Enter the portion of the income you received from sources in Kansas or while you were a resident of Kansas. If I've already input from fed, do I enter the same?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

1099-R: Enter the portion of the income you received from sources in Kansas or while you were a resident of Kansas. If I've already input from fed, do I enter the same?

Are you entering a Part-Year Kansas return?

Yes

I'm simply not understanding what I'm being asked to enter.  What is meant by "sources in Kansas?"

None of my 401(k) was received from any source in the state.

Jesus, nevermind.  Going to file with a local tax pro.

The relevant portion of this question is "While you were a resident of Kansas."  Just enter the portion for the months you lived in Kansas, ie Amount / 12 x Number of Months.  Your former state gets the reciprocal amount.

I took the entire distribution while I was still a state resident.

To clarify: lived in Ks from 01/2017 to 05/2017 and then moved to Co.  Have lived in Co since.

Took the entire distribution in May, while a Ks resident.

You're saying I need to allocate the entire distribution to my Kansas return.  Yes?

If you took your distribution while you were a resident of Kansas, then you will "Allocate" (assign) that distribution to Kansas.

When you are working on a Part-Year Resident return, the software assumes nothing regarding your income and expenses except in relation to W-2's, which have a state assigned to them.  Therefore, you must manually review the return(s) for accuracy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies