turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a non resident alien and have SSN. My spouse is also non resident alien and have ITIN and no US income. I am filing Married filing joint and spouse lived in India for 8 months and in US by end of the year. Do i have to show his foreign income? If ye

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I am a non resident alien and have SSN. My spouse is also non resident alien and have ITIN and no US income. I am filing Married filing joint and spouse lived in India for 8 months and in US by end of the year. Do i have to show his foreign income? If ye

Thank for your information.  Based on what you have provided, you both are considered as a US resident for tax purposes.  You are required to file a Form 1040.  By filing Married Filing Jointly, you are required to report worldwide income including his wages earned from India.  

View solution in original post

16 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

What type of visa did you have in 2016 ?  When did you first enter US with the visa ?

Im on H1 visa and here since 2014.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

What about your spouse ?

He has H4 dependant Visa since 2014 and got ITIN in 2015. In 2016 he went to India and worked there and came back by the end of the year.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Please see answer below.

it s not clear, that your spouse was a Resident in 2016. When exaclty did he leave and when did he come back? And how many days was he in the US in 2015 and 2014?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Thank for your information.  Based on what you have provided, you both are considered as a US resident for tax purposes.  You are required to file a Form 1040.  By filing Married Filing Jointly, you are required to report worldwide income including his wages earned from India.  

I am using turbo tax and i have filled my W2. How do i show my husbands income in India? He does not have a W2 there.

I just tried married filing joint and i did not see an option on turbo tax to enter details of my husbands foreign income. What should i do ?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

See answer below.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

To enter foreign earned income/exclusion in the TurboTax Free Edition online program:

1. After sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in foreign income and Enter 

3.  Select Jump to foreign income 

4.  Next screen, Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? answer Yes 

5.  On-screen, What Form(s) Was Foreign Income Reported On ? check the third box and continue to proceed

Thankyou
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You are welcome !

What is the Tax rate on global income?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies