turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

murrayjon

To calculate capital gain or loss for a GE Drip, which I sold all only once, can I add all the purchase amounts and deduct the sale proceeds to determine it? Splits?

There were monthly $100 investments for 11 years, prior to when the Broker was required to provide cost basis.  Thus about 132 transactions and Turbo Tax Premier keeps deleting the lots over 50 that I enter to calculate the capital gain or loss. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

To calculate capital gain or loss for a GE Drip, which I sold all only once, can I add all the purchase amounts and deduct the sale proceeds to determine it? Splits?

If you sold all your shares of GE at the same time, you can enter it all as a single transaction (two if you have short and long term).  Sum the total of your purchase amounts, and use various as the date of acquisition.  You will have to manually adjust for splits, dividend reinvestments, etc.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

If you sold all your shares of GE at the same time, you can enter it all as a single transaction (two if you have short and long term).  Sum the total of your purchase amounts, and use various as the date of acquisition.  You will have to manually adjust for splits, dividend reinvestments, etc.

almost impossible to track reinvested dividends on 132 tiny transactions.
Did the broker start tracking basis for you in 2012 or thereabouts ? Those would be Box D
The earlier ones would be Box E.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies