murrayjon

To calculate capital gain or loss for a GE Drip, which I sold all only once, can I add all the purchase amounts and deduct the sale proceeds to determine it? Splits?

There were monthly $100 investments for 11 years, prior to when the Broker was required to provide cost basis.  Thus about 132 transactions and Turbo Tax Premier keeps deleting the lots over 50 that I enter to calculate the capital gain or loss. 

DDollar

If you sold all your shares of GE at the same time, you can enter it all as a single transaction (two if you have short and long term).  Sum the total of your purchase amounts, and use various as the date of acquisition.  You will have to manually adjust for splits, dividend reinvestments, etc.

DDollar

fanfare

almost impossible to track reinvested dividends on 132 tiny transactions.
Did the broker start tracking basis for you in 2012 or thereabouts ? Those would be Box D
The earlier ones would be Box E.