turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I should be getting back arounf $2000.00 in returns total and once I add my husbands W2 it goes down to only $33.00. This is our first year married.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SeanE1

I should be getting back arounf $2000.00 in returns total and once I add my husbands W2 it goes down to only $33.00. This is our first year married.

This makes sense because with just your income you were in a lower tax bracket and when you entered your husband's income, (W-2) you went into a higher tax bracket.  The higher the income the higher the taxes and when you have higher taxes it decreases the refund that your program initially calculated with just your income.

In addition, you may want to ask your husband about the number of exemptions that he is claiming on his W-4 at work. The more exemptions on a W-4 means that less taxes will be withheld from paychecks throughout the year, but come tax time, (April 15) the tax bill will be higher than it would if there were 0 exemptions on the W-4. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SeanE1

This makes sense because with just your income you were in a lower tax bracket and when you entered your husband's income, (W-2) you went into a higher tax bracket.  The higher the income the higher the taxes and when you have higher taxes it decreases the refund that your program initially calculated with just your income.

In addition, you may want to ask your husband about the number of exemptions that he is claiming on his W-4 at work. The more exemptions on a W-4 means that less taxes will be withheld from paychecks throughout the year, but come tax time, (April 15) the tax bill will be higher than it would if there were 0 exemptions on the W-4. 

Would it be worth maybe filing separate then?
SeanE1

You can prepare you and your husband's tax returns with filing status of married filing separately, and then add the tax owed or refunds calculated from both separate returns and compare that number to the tax refund of $33 that was calculated on your married filing jointly return to see which way is more favorable to the both of you.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies