boomsmom10

This is the first year I have filed taxes and I am on disability and both my children receive benefits also. I was just wondering did I do this correct?

Anita01

If your only income was social security disability, you would not need to file a return.  You do not claim your children's benefits and if this is their only income, they also would not file a return.  If your disability is from somewhere other then SSDI, or if you are filing a joint return with your spouse, the answer could be different, so let us know.

Anita01

somethingaboutmary

Hopefully you can find beneficial information here http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/how-to/social-security-disability-taxes

The site does say, though:  " If this is your first year filing taxes while receiving Social Security Disability payments, you may want to hire a tax professional to help you through the tax process. A tax professional can help you understand how your Social Security Disability benefits affect your tax liabilities and can help you through the back-payment issue."