turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

watermi50

I do not want premium service benefits

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies
JoannaT

In California, if you choose to pay any TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, that service is bundled with Premium Services. You can remove the Premium Services and then choose to pay the TurboTax fees upfront using a credit or debit card.

Here is the FAQ on how to remove Premium Services:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3625003

taylorrhe

Why does this happen only for this state?

This is stupid! I am being tricked into paying for the premium service bundle. Didn't even get a chance to unselect it after switching back to credit card payment option. Was never clear that using federal refunding for payment will require the bundle to begin with. This is extremely deceptive and intentional! Stay away from Turbotax!

Same here.

Agreed and angered, will be the last year using Turbo Tax

I ran into this too - but you can bypass it by clicking Do not Agree at the end and you can still file your taxes without using the premium benefits. I agree this is TRICKY and meant to trick us into paying for and sending sensitive info to other companies. Bad on you, Intuit, for this kind of tactic. But you can bypass it.
daimyox

This is really bad business practice by Intuit. It is so deceptive and they know most people do not read the entire 'Terms and Agreements' which is pages long. But when you agree, the premium services is automatically charged when you want to pay Intuit with your Federal refund. I'm sure they think that most people will not spend the time to call them on this.  I was on the phone for 40 minutes plus taking to the rep which was no help.  In the end, I let them get away with it........what a corrupt company...

Wow, this is the last year I will be using Turbotax. I have been using them for 8 years and this is the first time I've dealt with this! They too tricked me into paying for the $45 bundle that didn't state anywhere that if I wanted to pay for my filing with my refund that I would also have to pay extra money to do that as well. Won't be using them again next year.

i still cant by pass it..

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you pay with your refund with TurboTax in California you get the added benefit of Premium Services. If you don't want this benefit that is bundled with the selection of having your TurboTax fees paid from you refund, you'll need to pay your TurboTax fees at the time you file. Please see this TurboTax FAQ to remove Premium Services and what is offered with Premium Services: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-premium-services/00/26266.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the links to remove doesn't work.  Where's the instructions using MAC?

@ anthonys650 wrote:

the links to remove doesn't work.  Where's the instructions using MAC?

You haven't adequately explained your situation, so I'm having to guess a bit.   You have probably been reading instructions for removing Premium Services in Online TurboTax.   Are you using the desktop software (CD/download)?     We don't know what you mean by "the links to remove don't work."    So since you mentioned "Mac",  I'm going to assume you are using desktop software for Mac.

If you are using desktop software, there is a 19.99 fee to efile the state return  (increases to 24.99 on March 1).

Are you in California, and is your product charging you for "Premium Services?"    If so, it sounds like you chose to pay that 19.99 state efile fee out of your Federal refund instead of simply paying for it upfront with credit/debit card.  If so, that payment method requires Premium Services which is an additional 44.99 (California).    Premium Services also includes other benefits such as Audit Defense, ID protection/monitoring, etc.

To avoid that 44.99 fee for Premium Services you have to change the payment method and choose to pay the 19.99 upfront with a credit/debit card or a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.   After you change the payment method, make sure before filing that you look at the "order review" screen and are only going to be paying 19.99 (plus sales tax.)   

If there's still an extra fee showing after all that, it might still be trying to charge you for Audit Defense, in which case one would go to the REVIEW tab, select  the subtab "Audit Protection", navigate past the Audit Risk meter, and then scroll down on an Audit Defense screen and decline Audit Defense.

I agree. Also there's no option to cancel if you signed up to have the money taken out of the your refund. I will stop using Turbo Tax in the future...

Arjunnnna

Agreed. I explicitly said I did NOT want premium services, every time they were offered. Didn't notice they still charged me for it until I saw an itemized list of what they billed me for. This is slimy and underhanded, and I have lost all respect for Turbotax as a company. I believe the IRS offers a platform for free e-file, don't waste your time with this overpriced garbage software. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies