turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have stock losses from a company who went bankrupt in 2018. How can I report this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I have stock losses from a company who went bankrupt in 2018. How can I report this?

This is reported as a stock sale.  If you have received a 1099-B from your brokerage, you will need to enter the information in TurboTax.  All the information you need to enter the stock sale should be on the brokerage statement. 

To enter a stock sale in TurboTax,

• In your open Federal return, choose Wages & Income
  • Scroll down to Investment Income and Show more
  • Start or Revisit Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  • Add a sale and answer Yes, you got a brokerage statement. (If you did not get a brokerage statement for some reason, answer No. You will see the screen Choose the type of investment you sold.  Select the option for Stocks and Continue.)
  • On the next page "Choose your bank or brokerage," or scroll down and select "I'll type it in myself."
  • Enter your brokerage name and Continue
  • On the page "Tell us about your Brokerage 1099-B" choose the radio button for "I'll enter one sale at a time."  
  • Continue through the interview and enter your information.  When you reach the screen Do Any Special Situations Apply to This Sale? choose the option for worthless securities.
  • If you need more info at any time, select Learn More.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies