Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

help420

If i won on a lotto ticket and had to pay state and federal tax do i get it back at tax time ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If i won on a lotto ticket and had to pay state and federal tax do i get it back at tax time ?

Withholding on lottery winnings works exactly like withholding on a W-2.

If you were under withheld, it may decrease your refund somewhat (or increase taxes due) If the winnings were over withheld, it may increase your refund.

Like a W-2, the only way you will get a full refund of your withholding(s) would be to have no taxable income.

To get an estimate of your tax result and refund, see Tax Caster

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Withholding on lottery winnings works exactly like withholding on a W-2.

If you were under withheld, it may decrease your refund somewhat (or increase taxes due) If the winnings were over withheld, it may increase your refund.

Like a W-2, the only way you will get a full refund of your withholding(s) would be to have no taxable income.

To get an estimate of your tax result and refund, see Tax Caster

help420

I'm disabled . No taxable income other then that, it said approved for 14 days , I just wasn't sure if I get it back or not . Thank you:)

OK, then it will depend on the amount of winnings. If it is not enough for you to be requited to file, you will receive an entire refund of your withholding(s). See Do I Need to File a Tax Return? <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return">https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-...>
help420

They held $1900 federal and 200 state

II you need to file a tax return (see above link), you won't get a full refund.. You can also use Tax Caster above to preview your result.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies