Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tymebrown

My husband owes child support from previous marriage and I am on ssdi and we claim my son from a previous marriage who lives with us full time, can they take our refund?

My son lives with us fulltime and our home is in my parents name but we claim is since we paid the down payment and the mortgage and my parents do not.  My husband only worked half of the year and I receive ssdi monthly and am permanently disabled.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My husband owes child support from previous marriage and I am on ssdi and we claim my son from a previous marriage who lives with us full time, can they take our refund?

"Can they take our refund?"

Probably yes. It depends on all the details. The bulk of your refund probably comes from the Earned Income Credit and Additional Child tax credit.  Although those refundable credits are based on "your" child; they are also based on your husband's earned income (SSDI while potentially taxable, is not earned income).

All you can do is submit the Injured Spouse form and hope for the best. Filing separately will not help you and would most likely hurt you worse. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

"Can they take our refund?"

Probably yes. It depends on all the details. The bulk of your refund probably comes from the Earned Income Credit and Additional Child tax credit.  Although those refundable credits are based on "your" child; they are also based on your husband's earned income (SSDI while potentially taxable, is not earned income).

All you can do is submit the Injured Spouse form and hope for the best. Filing separately will not help you and would most likely hurt you worse. 

Yes.  Normally, Injured Spouse would benefit you.  Are you in a Community Property State?

And are either of you listed on the deed or the mortgage of the home?

Tymebrown

no we are not in a community property state, is an equitable distribution state.  Yes my name is on the deed, but my husbands is not.....he is the one with the owed child support

They can take any refund that your spouse would receive whether you file jointly or separately.   The injured spouse form would not be of any benefit since you would have no independent tax refund of your own to protect since you had no taxable income of your own and would not have received any refund if you filed separately.

If you itemize and claim the mortgage interest then that can only be done on a joint return since you have an obligation to pay it since your name is on the deed.  If filing separately that deduction would be lost to your spouse since he is not on the deed and you would not benefit from it.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies