Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

russk
Returning Member

There was an issue with "Box 14" for NJ where it would not allow values over 60 for SDI or over 29 for FLI. How can I correct my existing e-file when Turbo Tax fixes it?

For 2020, Turbo Tax was erroring that these values were too high. A quick Google search came up with an older post on the Turbo Tax forums that indicated to adjust the value to the "limit" and seek reimbursement from my employer. I've later found that the limit Turbo Tax is imposing for 2020 is actually incorrect, and will be fixed on 1/29
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

There was an issue with "Box 14" for NJ where it would not allow values over 60 for SDI or over 29 for FLI. How can I correct my existing e-file when Turbo Tax fixes it?

You will need to file an amendment to correct it after the IRS accepts it, however this is free to do and will not require any CPA.   Beginning in 2020, the IRS allows amendments to be e-filed, so when it is time to do it, you will sign back in and file the amendment online through TurboTax - and if you need any assistance, you can get it here although the process should be pretty straightforward.  

As far as the timing, the IRS will begin accepting e-filed returns on Feb 12th.  Once they receive and process your return and after you get any refund from that return is when you would come back and do the amendment.  I say wait until the IRS has fully processed it because sometimes they fix things without you having to do an amendment and this is a case where they may do that since they have your correct W-2 on file.  So, you may not need to do anything. 

Also, if for any reason your tax return gets rejected when the IRS starts processing, you can make the change before resubmitting them for e-file.  But rest assured, there will be no additional costs or the need for a professional to get this resolved.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Yes, this issue is being addressed. Please see this webpage and sign up to be notified when this issue is resolved.

Note that most New Jersey forms are not available yet in any case. Please check this page for State Forms Availability.

russk
Returning Member

@BillM223 ,

Thanks for your response. I did sign up to be notified when the issue is resolved. I'm hoping at that time they provide some instruction on how to correct the form that's already filed.

I tried calling customer service to see if they can give any insight into the process. They claimed that I need to file an amendment for my taxes, which requires a CPA and an upgrade of $80 to get that level of support. That will be quite a terrible experience if I need to pay $80 to make a $30 correction on something that was an issue with the Turbo Tax software to begin with.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to file an amendment to correct it after the IRS accepts it, however this is free to do and will not require any CPA.   Beginning in 2020, the IRS allows amendments to be e-filed, so when it is time to do it, you will sign back in and file the amendment online through TurboTax - and if you need any assistance, you can get it here although the process should be pretty straightforward.  

As far as the timing, the IRS will begin accepting e-filed returns on Feb 12th.  Once they receive and process your return and after you get any refund from that return is when you would come back and do the amendment.  I say wait until the IRS has fully processed it because sometimes they fix things without you having to do an amendment and this is a case where they may do that since they have your correct W-2 on file.  So, you may not need to do anything. 

Also, if for any reason your tax return gets rejected when the IRS starts processing, you can make the change before resubmitting them for e-file.  But rest assured, there will be no additional costs or the need for a professional to get this resolved.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies