turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mytax1965

Can i file 2016 taxes if i have past years not filed

i am was married and am filing for the first single but I have past years that I need file for as married . my question is can I file my taxes for 2016  before I file those previous years? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There's no law or rule that says you have to file your 2015 return before you can do your 2016 return.

However, it's best to prepare your 2015 return first, if possible. This gives you several advantages:

• You'll be able transfer your 2015 data to your 2016 return, which saves time and prevents data entry errors;
  • You'll have the answers to certain program questions that involve last year's return (and you'll avoid having to amend your return if you answered them incorrectly);
  • You'll be able to use the AGI method to electronically sign your 2016 return so you can e-file it. 

If you're not able to file your 2015 return before filing your 2016 taxes, no biggie. Just be sure to review your 2015 return after you've filed 2015. Should your 2016 return need corrections based on info in your 2015 return, you may need to amend.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There's no law or rule that says you have to file your 2015 return before you can do your 2016 return.

However, it's best to prepare your 2015 return first, if possible. This gives you several advantages:

• You'll be able transfer your 2015 data to your 2016 return, which saves time and prevents data entry errors;
  • You'll have the answers to certain program questions that involve last year's return (and you'll avoid having to amend your return if you answered them incorrectly);
  • You'll be able to use the AGI method to electronically sign your 2016 return so you can e-file it. 

If you're not able to file your 2015 return before filing your 2016 taxes, no biggie. Just be sure to review your 2015 return after you've filed 2015. Should your 2016 return need corrections based on info in your 2015 return, you may need to amend.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies