turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It says "a dependent" has already been claimed but i have 2 dependents. How do i know which one has or hasnt been claimed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SeanE1

It says "a dependent" has already been claimed but i have 2 dependents. How do i know which one has or hasnt been claimed

There is no way for me to know which of your dependents where already claimed on someone else's tax return and the IRS would not tell you if you asked them.  Do you know of someone else that could have possibly claimed your children, like an ex-spouse?  If not, there is a lot of identity theft occurring these days and fraudulent tax returns using other people's social security numbers are being filed in record number. Since your tax return has been rejected by the IRS, the only option you have is to paper-file your tax return.  To do this, you would select Paper-File instead of Efile when you are in the File section after completing your return. Then print, sign, date and mail your tax return by April 18, 2017. You may also consider contacting the IRS at 1 (800) 829-1040 but they will most likely give you the same advice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies