turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I claimed 1 Allowance on my w4 last year, yet turbo tax does not ask how many I claimed when computing my taxes. Is this not needed when doing my taxes?

I know the more allowances you claim, the less taxes you pay from each paycheck and therefore may end up owing at the end of the year. I did not know I was claiming a "1", and I just wanted to make sure that's the rate that turbotax is using when filing my taxes, because if it were using a "0", I can see how that would make me owing taxes at the end of the year because the taxes taken out at a 0 vs a 1 are so much greater.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I claimed 1 Allowance on my w4 last year, yet turbo tax does not ask how many I claimed when computing my taxes. Is this not needed when doing my taxes?

There is no direct relationship between the allowances you claim with your employer and your tax return. The allowances only determine how much tax is withheld from your pay. They are not used to determine how much tax you owe. 

It is the amount of tax actually withheld compared to the amount of tax owed when everything is entered on your tax return that determines whether you will get a refund or must pay when you file your return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There is no direct relationship between the allowances you claim with your employer and your tax return. The allowances only determine how much tax is withheld from your pay. They are not used to determine how much tax you owe. 

It is the amount of tax actually withheld compared to the amount of tax owed when everything is entered on your tax return that determines whether you will get a refund or must pay when you file your return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies