turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxdude1

Is 2018 Health Insurance Penalty applicable if I lost job and left USA?

I was working in the US on a work visa and had health insurance through my employer from Jan to May 2018. My employment was terminated in May 2018 and so did the Insurance coverage. I did not purchase health insurance through the marketplace thereafter. I also do not qualify for any uneployment benefits as a non citizen and also did not have the option to work in any domain unrelated to my education.

I subsequently left the US in July 2018 (completing 183 days in the US in 2018 for tax purposes) and remained outside of the US for the rest of the year.

I had a few questions regarding Health Insurance Penalty:

- Would the Health Insurance Penalty be applicable in my case as I was uninsured for 2 months while being in the US (June-July) and was not physically present in the US for the remainder of 2018. If so, what will be the extent of this penalty.

- If the penaty is applicable, Would I qualify for a personal hardship exemption as I have not been employed since May 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
abrown19

Is 2018 Health Insurance Penalty applicable if I lost job and left USA?

There are exemptions to the health care penalty:

• Exemptions are available based on a number of circumstances, including certain hardships, some life events, health coverage or financial status, and membership in some groups.
  • You claim most health coverage exemptions on your federal tax return. Some require you to fill out and mail an application to the Marketplace.
  • You don’t have to pay the fee for any month you have qualifying health coverage. If you’re uncovered only 1 or 2 months, you don’t have to pay the fee for any month.

For more information, see https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/exemptions-from-the-fee/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies