turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

inlib2003

Since I no longer belong to the default group subject to SS liability against my income, how can I see the calculations to ensure no SS "payroll tax" is applied?

With 2018, I became a "rehired annuitant".  Most of my income has been pension, and what I earn is not subject to social security /"payroll taxes" payments.

Seems to me TurboTax has always concealed the calculations surrounding the social security payments, not even separating balance due to IRS from the balance that went to SS.

Since I believe I am no longer going to receive further credit toward eventual SS income based on my earnings, I need to be absolutely certain that I am not being DUNNED for SS payments as I calculate my taxes.

I'm open to suggestions re the best software to use.  I don't assume that any version of TurboTax will be most appropriate... Another company's software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Since I no longer belong to the default group subject to SS liability against my income, how can I see the calculations to ensure no SS "payroll tax" is applied?

You don't mention who your employer is. 

A rehired annuitant is a retiree who is hired by his or her former employer, or by another employer that participates in the same retirement system as the former employer. This includes a former participant in a state retirement system who has previously retired and who is either (1) currently receiving retirement benefits or (2) has reached normal retirement age.

If that is your situation, your employer will not withhold SS tax.

TurboTax does not calculate FICA tax on W-2 wages.  The only way you can be erroneously dunned is by your employer and that's unlikely.

It appears that you're confusing your situation with TT calculating tax on SS benefits and/or calculating FICA on the self employed. ("Seems to me TurboTax has always concealed the calculations surrounding the social security payments, not even separating balance due to IRS from the balance that went to SS")

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Are you referring to paying YOU make TO Social Security (such as Self Employment Tax or FICA)?  If so, why don't you think that applies to you?

If you are Self Employed, you are still subject to Self Employment taxes (Social Security and Medicare taxes), or if you are an Employee, you are still subject to paying FICA (Social Security and Medicare taxes).

Or are you referring to Social Security payments that you have RECEIVED because you are over age 62 and are COLLECTING Social Security?
inlib2003

Answering the comment:  READ MORE CAREFULLY the original question.  I am not self-employed, I am NOT RECEIVING Soc Security income in 2018.  Payroll tax does not apply to me after 2017 because I am a "rehired annuitant" (see government regulations regarding social security).

If you are entering a W-2, the program or tax return does not add any Social Security or any payroll things (except for where it applies, such as clergy).

So there is nothing to look at.  There are no calculations to do.

I believe that applies only to rehired government employees.   It would be up to your employer to not withhold the SS tax from your pay.  There would be nothing to enter into TurboTax - the money simply would not have been withheld in the first place.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.ssa.gov/slge/rehired.htm">https://www.ssa.gov/slge/rehired.htm</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
inlib2003

Response to comment:  What you say makes sense up to a point.  Yes, a state gov't employee rehired after retirement.  I am asking what version of software or what company's tax software makes all calculations TRANSPARENT so that I can see that nothing is "by default" directed towards standard SS payments (to "make up" for what is not withheld)>

All versions have an option to see the "all worksheets", which is as much as you will be able to see.  No tax software of ANY sort will show every single step of every calculation.

But as I said before, there is NOT any calculations to see for this.
Hal_Al
Level 15

There are a couple of situations where the software will calculate FICA tax. Self employment is one (FICA tax is called Self Employment Tax and goes on Schedule 4 (Form 1040), line 57.).  Clergy and Tip income  are common examples of when FICA tax is calculated directly. When that happens FICA tax is calculated on IRS form 8919 or 4137.  The tax goes on Schedule 4 (Form 1040), line 58.

So, if  there is no entry on either line 57 or line 58, The software did not "dun" you social security tax on your income.

I still do not know what you are even asking.

TurboTax makes no calculations about social security withholding whatsoever - it simply used the box 3 and 4 values that your employer puts on your W-2.   The only time TurboTax calculates the Social Security tax is for self-employed taxpayers that file a schedule C.   Employers withhold SS tax if any.

Simply look at box 4 on your W-2 to see if they took out anything.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

The only Social Security-related addition to tax liability that can appear on *anyone's* personal tax return is self-employment tax on self-employment income.  If you have no self-employment income, there is no way for TurboTax to add anything to your tax liability that has anything to do with Social Security tax because the federal tax forms have no provision for doing so.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You don't mention who your employer is. 

A rehired annuitant is a retiree who is hired by his or her former employer, or by another employer that participates in the same retirement system as the former employer. This includes a former participant in a state retirement system who has previously retired and who is either (1) currently receiving retirement benefits or (2) has reached normal retirement age.

If that is your situation, your employer will not withhold SS tax.

TurboTax does not calculate FICA tax on W-2 wages.  The only way you can be erroneously dunned is by your employer and that's unlikely.

It appears that you're confusing your situation with TT calculating tax on SS benefits and/or calculating FICA on the self employed. ("Seems to me TurboTax has always concealed the calculations surrounding the social security payments, not even separating balance due to IRS from the balance that went to SS")

TAX ON SOCIAL SECURITY

Up to 85% of your Social Security benefits can be taxable on your federal tax return.  There is no age limit for having to pay taxes on Social Security benefits if you have other sources of income along with the SS benefits.  When you have other income such as earnings from continuing to work, investment income, pensions, etc. up to 85% of your SS can be taxable. 

What confuses people about this is that before you reach full retirement age, if you continue working while drawing SS, your benefits can be reduced if you earn over a certain limit. (For 2017 that limit is $16,920 —for 2018 it will be $17,040—for 2019 it will be $17,640)  After full retirement age, no matter how much you continue to earn, your benefits are not reduced by your earnings; your employer will still have to withhold for Social Security and Medicare.

To see how much of your Social Security was taxable, look at line 14b of your 1040A, or line 20b of your 1040

For 2018 look at lines 5a and 5b

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899144-is-my-social-security-income-taxable

You need to file a federal return if half your Social Security plus your other income is $25,000 when filing single or head of household, or $32,000 when filing married filing jointly, $0 if you are filing married filing separately.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

duplicate

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies