turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Since tax prep fees are no longer deductible under the new 2018 tax bill, is there any way to pay for 2017 TurboTax fees now before we're ready to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since tax prep fees are no longer deductible under the new 2018 tax bill, is there any way to pay for 2017 TurboTax fees now before we're ready to file?

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2017 return at this time, click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Pay Now.  On the next screen just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will show a review of your Fees, click on Continue.  Complete the next screen to pay by credit card and click Continue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2017 return at this time, click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Pay Now.  On the next screen just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will show a review of your Fees, click on Continue.  Complete the next screen to pay by credit card and click Continue.

Yes, but it probably won't help.

How to pay,  use this FAQ on how to preview your return.  It will make you pay if you say you want to print now.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

But If you are trying to deduct the tax preparation fees you paid it usually isn't worth it.  You can only deduct the amount Over 2% of your AGI and then only if you Itemize Deductions.

For example, you make $20,000 AGI.  Only the amount over $400 (20,000 x .02) would even be deductible.  And that's only for 20,000 AGI.  For like 50,000 AGI only the amount over $1,000 would be deductible.

See this FAQ on deducting tax preparation fees,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2559402-can-i-claim-tax-prep-fees-as-a-deduction

Not exactly. The SUM of your miscellaneous expenses (which also includes things like unreimbursed employee-related expenses, investment expenses, and safe deposit box fees) must exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). As a public school teacher, my unreimbursed employee-related expenses always exceed 2% of my AGI.

Then if all itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction, by all means pay it and deduct it.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies