turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

francasta

Why do i have to pay a penalty tax

I deduct the maximum with my employer and my husband is self employee
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

The United States income tax system is a pay-as-you-go tax system, which means that you must pay income tax as you earn or receive your income during the year. Underpayment penalties are assessed if you don't withhold or pay enough tax on income received during each quarter.

It's entirely possible to get hit with an underpayment penalty even though you paid your tax bill in full by the April deadline or are getting a refund. 

Here's an example: Joe is self-employed and estimated next year's tax bill at $20,000. Rather than making 4 quarterly payments of $5,000 apiece, he chose to pay $500 in each of the first 3 quarters, and the remaining $18,500 in the fourth quarter.

When he filed, his actual tax bill came to $17,270 and he got a $2,730 refund. However, he got hit with the underpayment penalty because he underpaid his estimated tax in the first 3 quarters.

To reduce or possibly even eliminate your underpayment penaltyfollow these instructions:

• Type annualizing your tax in the search bar and click search.
  • Click on Jump to annualizing your tax.
  • Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the Annualized Income Method, click Yes.
  • Enter your income in the boxes provided.

Continue with the onscreen interview until complete. 

You can actually add even more to your W-2 withholding by requesting an additional amount be deducted. See the screenshot of Form W-4.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

The United States income tax system is a pay-as-you-go tax system, which means that you must pay income tax as you earn or receive your income during the year. Underpayment penalties are assessed if you don't withhold or pay enough tax on income received during each quarter.

It's entirely possible to get hit with an underpayment penalty even though you paid your tax bill in full by the April deadline or are getting a refund. 

Here's an example: Joe is self-employed and estimated next year's tax bill at $20,000. Rather than making 4 quarterly payments of $5,000 apiece, he chose to pay $500 in each of the first 3 quarters, and the remaining $18,500 in the fourth quarter.

When he filed, his actual tax bill came to $17,270 and he got a $2,730 refund. However, he got hit with the underpayment penalty because he underpaid his estimated tax in the first 3 quarters.

To reduce or possibly even eliminate your underpayment penaltyfollow these instructions:

• Type annualizing your tax in the search bar and click search.
  • Click on Jump to annualizing your tax.
  • Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the Annualized Income Method, click Yes.
  • Enter your income in the boxes provided.

Continue with the onscreen interview until complete. 

You can actually add even more to your W-2 withholding by requesting an additional amount be deducted. See the screenshot of Form W-4.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies