turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The total federal tax paid from the W2 and estimated taxes entered does not equal the summary page of federal taxes paid. Can you help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The total federal tax paid from the W2 and estimated taxes entered does not equal the summary page of federal taxes paid. Can you help?

Ignore the confusing summary page ... review the actual return ...

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2)  then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2018 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

@CritterI get what you stated here but is it possible to correct the prior year's figures?

I amended 2017 and the positive refund amount went negative. I wrote a check.

But then when I go in the 2018 file and look at the summary page figures the figures are before the 2017 amend.

I have a felling it probably doesn't matter but now I have this hiccup in the data trail. Also as I then work on completing 2019 the summary page will be incorrect for the prior of 2018 figures also.

When I do 2020 the data trail should be correct when the 2019 data is brought in.

So this obvious question is does TurboTax address this problem at all?

Its like once you create a new return and gather in the previous year you get one shot at that.

I understand the 1040x is not in a good state to auto or retro import but I am sure the community would like to see the answer to this instead of just blowing by the old figures and saying 'Oh well. No harm, no foul...'

Thanks in advance.

No you cannot change prior year info that transferred into the program and is shown on the summary screens ...  all you can do is change anything that may  need to be corrected as you run across it if it is no longer correct.  And as you said it really doesn't matter since the IRS/STATE do not see this info ... it is for your use only.  If you had amended the 2017 return BEFORE filing the 2018 then it would have been correct. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies