turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

With the new tax laws, will I be able to deduct 2017 taxes paid in 2018 on my taxes due in 2019?

I paid my 2017 property taxes in 2018.  Will these taxes still be deductible when I file in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

With the new tax laws, will I be able to deduct 2017 taxes paid in 2018 on my taxes due in 2019?

The standard deduction will increase to $12,000 for single and $24,000 for married filing joint, so some that could itemize in 2017 may not be able to itemize in 2018 as you must exceed the standard deduction to be able to itemize. 

Your property taxes paid in 2018 up to $10,000 will be allowed as an itemized deduction.

Don't worry as TurboTax will help you with these changes.

Please click on this link for more details on the 2018 tax law changes.  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/2017-tax-reform-legislation-what-you-should-know...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

In 2018 IRS is going to cap state and local taxes paid to $10,000  so if your state and local (property taxes) don't exceed the 10k limit, you will get the deduction for tall of it.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

The standard deduction will increase to $12,000 for single and $24,000 for married filing joint, so some that could itemize in 2017 may not be able to itemize in 2018 as you must exceed the standard deduction to be able to itemize. 

Your property taxes paid in 2018 up to $10,000 will be allowed as an itemized deduction.

Don't worry as TurboTax will help you with these changes.

Please click on this link for more details on the 2018 tax law changes.  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/2017-tax-reform-legislation-what-you-should-know...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies