turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clwade99

Can I claim my daughter if she doesn't live with me? I'm 17 and so is my girlfriend. We had a baby in 2016 and my gf and daughter both live with her Grandma. Her Grandma won't allow her to move in with me until she's 18. Can I claim my daughter as a d

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim my daughter if she doesn't live with me? I'm 17 and so is my girlfriend. We had a baby in 2016 and my gf and daughter both live with her Grandma. Her Grandma won't allow her to move in with me until she's 18. Can I claim my daughter as a d

No you cannot, as she did not live with you. Grandma will be claiming GF and the baby.

And Child Support is not deductible.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

No you cannot, as she did not live with you. Grandma will be claiming GF and the baby.

And Child Support is not deductible.

clwade99

Even if my girlfriend has given me permission to claim our daughter?  We have joint-custody.
clwade99

I don't pay child support.  We are still together.

The right thing to do and legal thing would be to have the Grandma claim them both since she pays their expenses and provides a home. If you paid child support, had the child half the time and paid half of all expenses including the home you may have an argument.
clwade99

I do have my daughter half of the time, have my own place and provide for all of her needs.  She claimed her anyway and plans to claim her again for 2017.  I'm just going to report her to the IRS for fraud if she does it again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies