Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1095-A makes me owe money. Why

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenaC

The Premium Tax Credit (PTC) subsidy you got every month towards your health insurance premium, is based on what annual income you entered when you filled out your Marketplace health insurance application. 

• However, at tax time, your PTC is calculated on your reported final yearly income for 2018 not what you estimated.  
  • If your final yearly income is greater than your family's income limit, you may need to pay back some or all of your credit on your tax return.

If your combined income was below the 2018 Federal Poverty Level (FPL) you would not qualify for the Premium Tax Credit

• If your income is too low, according to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), you may have been eligible for Medicaid & CHIP coverage therefore not eligible for the subsidy and you would have to pay back the subsidy, at tax time.

Related information:

slynneddy

My income at the end of the year is less than the amount on the marketplace eligibility  form, but it says I own money, why?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Every tax year is separate. Look at your Form 8962 for an explanation. It is also possible that you owe for another reason.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies